Expecting puppies in your house can be exciting, but it is quite important to provide proper care to the puppies as well as their mother. Optimum care will ensure that the mother and her puppies feel secure and stay healthy. This article will help you prepare both your dog and home for the arrival of newborn puppies. We will explain some easy but effective ways that help you in caring of newborn puppies.
Pet Parking Space
1. For the first few weeks, the mother as well as the baby dog needs the careful handling. Both of them need to be monitored continuously for some time. There are many dangers that need to be avoided like a strong wind, other animals loitering around and much more. Even expectant mothers need a lot of care and attention.
2. Later, special measures have to be taken by the pet owners to ensure that they are completely comfortable and safe. Pet owners must begin preparations for the impending birth a couple of weeks before.
3. A comfortable and spacious boxy room must be prepared where the mother as well as the puppy can feel safe. Since the dogs will be spending a lot of time in the box, it is important that the space is comfortable. To ensure the same, a nylon lining may be spread on the bottom of the box and lay a lot of newspapers or disposable paper towels. During winters, an old, soft blanket may be spread for added measure. In case, you are buying beds for your lovely duo, you can buy one extra as spare so that it can be changed on a regular basis.
4. The first few weeks are quite crucial for the mother and the baby Dog; hence, it is important that they are kept indoors so that they stay protected from frost, heat, rain and run-ins with other animals. During the summers, they must be kept far away from the direct sunlight.
5. A constant temperature must be maintained for the new born baby as it may require extra heat during chilling winters. For this purpose, pet owners can create an incubator like environment by placing an electrical lamp close to the box where mother and baby are being placed. It can be easily found that the baby is feeling cold if you found them huddled in a corner trying to keep itself warm. You can use additional blankets to keep them warm.
6. It is very important to ensure a hygienic and clean environment for the dogs and as such it is prudent to keep changing their bedding. If you are using paper towels or newspapers, it needs to be changed frequently. This way, the dogs will be kept protected from germs.
7. It is very important to keep an eye on the mother and the baby as the first few days are very crucial for them. If you find any sudden change in their behaviour, you must take them immediately to an experienced veterinarian.
9. Once the puppy opens its eyes, it will start roaming around the house and this is the time when you will have to keep an extra watchful eye on him.
10. You can wash the puppy after a few days, if you think it is looking dirty. This is because, it is important to keep them free from any germs and infections.