Dog owners love to feed their food to dogs as a sign of affection towards their dog. But is it really safe? Well, there are certain human foods which you can feed to your dog without worrying. Peanut butter, chicken, salmon, broccoli, and yogurt are some of the foods which you can feed your dog without hesitation. Chocolate, grapes, raisins, avocado and alcohol are among human foods which you should not feed to your dog. Here, we are going to discuss whether oatmeal can be served to dogs or not. Let’s find out:
Well, the answer is YES. It is absolutely SAFE to feed oatmeal to the dogs if prepared the correct way. Actually, there are several health benefits which your dog can enjoy by eating oatmeal. A quick summary of nutritional profile of oatmeal is here:
- Oatmeal is rich in soluble fiber which makes it an ideal food choice for dogs who have bowel irregularity issues. Also, dogs are allergic to wheat can consume oatmeal as a replacement to wheat
- Oats are a good source of protein that is great for muscle growth. The quality of oat proteins lies in the class of soy protein and meat protein
- Oats have a good level of zinc, iron, manganese, and B vitamins (B5, B9 pantothenic acid, and folate)
- However, oats don’t have much gluten as compared to wheat
- Oatmeal is also a good source of carbohydrates which provide the dog energy for activities of whole day
- Oats are excellent source of molybdenum, phosphorus, copper, and biotin
Not only this, oatmeal has various herbal qualities. Here we go:
- Oats are used a uterine tonic
- Oatmeal contains b-sitosterol which is a great anti-tumor compound
- Oats have diuretic properties and it is also good for cardiac health of dogs
- Oatmeal is a good emollient and a stimulant
- Due to its fiber content, oatmeal is good for digestive tract
- Zinc present in oatmeal is good for healthy skin and coat of the dog
How to feed oatmeal to your dog?
Oatmeal is a good breakfast option for dogs. Make sure that you are offering him dish which is prepared using plain oatmeal which doesn’t has any sugar or flavor added. You can cook oatmeal without using any sugar or salt to add more health to the dog.
You can bake some oatmeal and peanut butter cookies and feed it to your dog
You can add cooked egg to oatmeal recipe for extra protein
Shredded cheese can be added to oatmeal while cooking it to increase the protein content
And, always cool the cooked oatmeal recipe before feeding it to the dog.
In case your dog is allergic to oatmeal or you think something is fishy, vet consultation is recommended.