The French Bulldog is known for its unique looks. Though, it is quite showy in its appearance, it also sports quite a muscular body. They have been blessed with a relaxed attitude, they also love to play. Their playful nature makes them highly trainable, though they enjoy these training sessions only so far they take it as a game. They have a freethinking approach that makes them a little stubborn. In order to train them properly, it is important that they are initiated with proper and systematic training sessions right from the very first day they are brought home. They enjoy human contact and can easily become good human companions.
Importance of a French Bulldog Training
It is important to note that these dogs are quite loving companions and free spirited. If they are not trained, they would love to lounge on the sofa doing nothing. Moreover, they may become stubborn and would not like to do anything in the future. They are quite loving and sometimes they go overboard with their love and become highly possessive about their owners. If there are other dogs close to their owners, they simply go berserk. Thus, it is important that they are socialized and trained in a proper way. If you find it difficult on your own, you can also seek the services of a professional pet trainer.
Useful Training Equipment and Accessories for French Bulldog
Training your pet is not as challenging as it seems. Moreover, the availability of a comprehensive range of training equipment and accessories in the market makes this task easier. There are collars, harnesses, leashes, etc., that helps in training your dog. The clicker is also used to train the dogs. Its consistent use help dogs learn to associate the sound with good behavior. Whenever a clicker is used to emit a sharp sound, the dog understands that this is the behavior expected from him. A variety of treats and rewards are also available that can be used to positively reinforce a behavior.
Types of Training Methods for French Bulldog
A variety of training methods are used to train French Bulldog. Some of them are-
Alpha Leadership Position
Show your dog that you are the alpha leader as soon as you bring your French Bulldog home. This will create a feeling of respect in their minds and they will listen to your commands. If this position is not established, your pet may engage in an unruly and disruptive behavior, which may become a difficult situation to handle. You can establish this position by indulging in behavior like ensuring your pet eats last, after every other family member has eaten or ensuring that your pet passes through the doorway last after others have passed.
This is the most important aspect of training a French Bulldog. The rewards can help them to indulge in positive behavior with less resistance. Giving them rewards when they indulge in a good behavior ensure that they continue to do so in the future. Your hard work and patience will definitely offer excellent results and you will get a well trained, respectful and obedient French Bulldog.
The attention span of your dog is very limited thus it is important that the training sessions are not stretched more than required. The sessions may be frequent but short as this will help in ensuring proper training.
Different Trainings Required for a French Bulldog
When training your French Bulldog, certain factors need to be taken care of, such as:
The French Bulldog has a typical “pack nature” and when it is brought to your family, it will consider the remaining family members as its “pack”. In this pack, it is important that you assume the position of the alpha leader so that your pet does not indulge in any destructive behavior.
Crate training must begin as early as possible, preferably the day they are brought home. This will allow him a place to settle and enjoy a quiet time. A crate is the place where your dog will relax and treat it as its home and training him for the same will allow him to use this space, whenever you are not available to supervise him. Steps to train French Bulldog are-
- Initially, crate training may be difficult as anything new will take some time for your dog to get acclimatized.
- Use a soft towel or blanket inside the crate so that your dog feels comfortable and happy inside. He will not feel uncomfortable in the crate.
- The crate must be placed in the corner where the family spends most of their time. This will help your pet to get settled in the crate.
- Use dog rewards like treats or biscuits to train them for this purpose.
- Use quiet but firm voice to and frequent praising to bring out the dog in or out of the crate.
Following steps must be used for leash training your French Bulldog-
- Leash is something that proves to be straining for the dog, but at the same time it is essential for the dog and its safety when you take it outdoors for a walk.
- When introducing a leash and collar, it is very important that they are introduced to them gradually.
- It is very important to stay away from any pain infliction or punishment to the dog
- Allow him to wear the leash even when at home so that he gets adjusted with the leash
- Use positive reinforcement or rewards to ensure fast acclimatization with a collar and leash.
Do’s and Don’ts in Providing Training to French Bulldog
|Be gentle when training your pet. Use firm voice only when necessary.||Never yell at your dog|
|Use positive reinforcement to ensure desirable behavior.||Do not be a hard taskmaster with your dog|
|Call him by his name when grabbing its attention||Do not reward your dog when he indulges in an undesirable behavior|
Tips to Make the Training Task Easy for French Bulldog
- Give proper attention to your dog and never shout or punish him if he doesn’t follow your orders as it may make him stubborn.
- Be very gentle but firm when training him so that he doesn’t associate training with punishment.