Healthy chewing is very important for dogs. It ensures good dental health in dogs. Chewing also helps a pup explore its world, the habit of chewing in a dog’s life is as intrinsic as it can get, but there’s a fine line between good and bad chewing.
Gnawing that becomes destructive needs to be immediately corrected before it turns into a tough habit difficult to break.
Chewing on non-food objects is obviously detrimental to a dog’s health. Plus one cannot overlook the loss of personal possessions that may eventually strain your relationship with the pet. There are some great ways to stop destructive dog chewing that are comfortable to you and your doggy.
- Provide dog chew toys suitable for its size/age: Chew toys are an appropriate diversion for the canine from attacking and gnawing your precious belongings. In case your dog is big in size offer toys that aren’t too small as they may lodge in its throat.
Other alternatives include Raw-hide Calcium Bones for dogs but you need to supervise the time your dog is munching these bones.
- Curb destructive dog chewing: Shouting at, hitting or punishing the pooch isn’t the way to go about correcting negative behaviors. In case you see your pet dog chewing something it shouldn’t be, simply take it away and replace it with one of its chew toys/treats. Once it begins to chew on the right object meant for the purpose, encourage the dog by lavishing some praise on it. Slowly the doggie will understand objects that it is allowed to chew and the ones it needs to steer away from. You need to be consistent with the whole correction process. You can also store your shoes and other precious items in a cabinet that the pup cannot reach.
- Boredom in dogs causes unwanted behaviors: Digging and chewing stem from a dull routine and loneliness. Spend quality time daily with your canine pal. Make it a priority to play games with and exercise the dog every day for certain duration of time. Your furry friend will be able to release excess energy and will not have any left for negative behaviors.
- Is the pet dog suffering from separation anxiety or some other medical issue? Separation anxiety causes boredom, loneliness and fear in dogs leading to negative behaviors. Remember separation anxiety is a disorder and can be cured using appropriate measures.
Medical issues may force a dog to gorge at non-food items. These include vitamin deficiency, malnutrition, diabetes, thyroid disease, increased hunger, intestinal parasites, Anemia and inflammatory bowel disease. Meet your vet in order to rule out medical causes behind dog chewing non-food items.
- Tuck away household cleaners/toxic plants: Household cleaners are composed of dangerous chemicals its best to hide them in a place where your curious pup can’t reach.
A little effort from your side is sure to infuse your dog with good habits & health and prevent destructive gnawing that will save you from potential loss and irritation. If your dog is in its puppy stage, teething can promote inappropriate chewing. The puppies chew a lot during this phase in an attempt to rid discomfort caused in the gums.