The Ragdoll cats have been bred in the United States of America by Ann Baker. These cats are named Ragdoll because they go all limp when picked up. These cats are beautiful adorning blue eyes and medium length hair that are soft and silky. Their name does not suggest so, but till date they are the largest domestic cat breed. Ragdoll cats have a large body frame and are really muscular. These cats do have a plush fur coat, but lack a dense undercoat due to which they shed less. It also has a disadvantage that they cannot bear cold weather well.
Ragdoll Cats are available in six different colors that include cream, chocolate, lilac, blue, red and seal. Ragdoll cats are often termed as a woman’s cat. Ragdoll cats are called pointed cats, i.e., their body colour is lighter than the pointed regions such as nose and ears. These cats are gentle and love to play on the floor. They do not pose any threat to your speakers or furniture.
Importance of a Ragdoll Cat Training
Ragdoll cats are affectionate cats and fall in love with their whole family and cannot be left alone, even for a few hours as they get anxious and might become lonely and depressed. These cats do not like everybody they come across and trust minimal people. It is said that you have to earn trust of your cat. Your cat is the largest domestic breed cat and since it is large and muscular, these cats need a lot of exercise and training to keep them healthy and active. Ragdoll cats are very talkative. You are likely to hear a lot of ‘meow’. Your Ragdoll cat training is of utmost importance and must be commenced as soon as possible.
Useful Training Equipment and Accessories for Ragdoll Cat
Cat Market is a growing market and is no less than any other pet market. This is because, it is against the stereotype people are beginning to have a cat. A wide range of training equipment’s and accessories are flooding through market these days. It is advisable to check out all the available options, and then select the training equipment. One must analyse cat’s likes and accordingly choose the training equipment.
This training will require a clicker which is a device that makes a click sound and is easily available in the market. You will have to teach your cat that a click is a reward and it will be a joy for your cat to have clicks during training.
Rewards and appreciation is what drives any cat to learn new tricks. It is a great way to train your cat by showing appreciation by a reward or treat. It will highly motivate your cat.
Fetching and Retrieving
This training mode is training your cat while playing. It is a very good method to train your cat as well as spend quality time with him. Every family member should do this with your cat.
Different Training required for Ragdoll cat
- Choose an appropriately sized litter box and its position. You might get many litter boxes.
- Initially you will have to take your cat to the boxes.
- Do not change boxes or their position as it might confuse your cat.
- He will learn and find its way to the litter box on his own.
- The first thing you should do is to select a leash. Opting for a bright, natural filament leash is a good choice.
- Keep the leash in your cat’s surroundings.
- Your cat should not feel that you are tying her up.
- Be gentle with your cat and give her time if he needs it.
- Your cat should be trained to obey you.
- You must use gentle but stern voice while training.
- Ragdoll cat training should begin as soon as possible.
Do’s and Don’ts in Providing Training to a Ragdoll Cat
You should take care of following minute yet critical points while training your Ragdoll cat.
|Do give your cat enough time to trust you and other family members.||Do not pressurize your cat to perform well.|
|Do spend quality time with your Ragdoll cat every day.||Do not be harsh with your cat.|
|Ragdoll cannot bear being left alone even for few hours.||Do not over pamper your cat as it might lead to serious issues in the future.|
Tips to Make the Training Task Easy for a Ragdoll
Certain tips can help in training your Ragdoll cat in an easy manner:
- Analyze your cat and train him accordingly.
- Ragdolls cats are very sensitive and do not take well to harsh treatment.
- Cat’s kindergarten is a good to teach Ragdolls socialization.
- All family members should spend quality time with your Ragdoll.