No animal I know of can consistently be more of a friend and companion than a dog – Stanley Leinwoll
Our dogs are the most loyal of friends. They give us endless devotion and ask for so little in return. I’ve yet to find a more devoted companion than my dog. I couldn’t imagine having to “get rid of” her or re-home her for any reason. I made the lifetime commitment when I adopted her. I certainly hope Laika likes it here because she’s mine for life.
Sadly many dogs don’t end up with a lifetime family. 59% of pets given as Christmas pets end up re-homed or abandoned within a year. Pets are a lifetime commitment yet so many humans fail to keep that simple promise.
These are a collection of my favorite posts dealing with issues of loyalty and commitment when it comes to our pets.
- Devoted to the End – The Devoted Cat tells the tale of Frankencat and Old Grand Dad. It’s a lovely story of dedication between the unlikely pair – they became the closest of friends until the end. It’s one of the best reads I’ve had in a while.
- The Loyal Dog & Her Not So Loyal Owner – Ann from Pawsitively Pets recently shared a personal story about loyalty that really got to me. Our dogs are the most loyal companions we could ask for; yet the way we return their devotion can be heartbreaking.
- It’s Not You, It’s Me – Sarah from Lola the Pitty wrote this awesome article about the frustrations we face with our dogs. It’s not that our dogs are unwilling to learn – sometimes we’re presenting them with the wrong set of tools.
- Moving With Pets – It Can Be Done – Christina shares some great advice and tips on moving with your pets. Some of the most common reasons dogs are abandoned at shelters have to do with living conditions. There are ways to make it work; every pet we can prevent from going to a shelter is another life that can be saved.
- No Dog Should Die Alone – Lori Fusaro is a professional photographer and she’s a huge dog lover. She started the amazing My Old Dog community on facebook which shows how amazing senior pets are; and how much they have to offer.
And here’s a cute video of what one family from Norway did to make their dog more comfortable while they went on vacation. By Jordan Maleverktoy.